Monday, November 28, 2022

Researching Eugene Bartow Ledbetter...

 Sometimes I just jump into my tree, pick a person at random and start researching what I can in a few minutes.  I know there are much more organized and better research plans out there but this is how I like to spend my spare time.  

Today I took a look at Eugene Bartow Ledbetter.  Eugene is my 2nd Great Granduncle.  He is a brother to my 2nd Great Grandmother, Luella Ledbetter subject of a lot of my research.  

Today I was looking at his funeral notice on Newspapers.com.  

CLIPPED FROM

The Atlanta Constitution

Atlanta, Georgia
05 Dec 1929, Thu  •  Page 28


Funeral notices are much less helpful than obituaries.  With an obituary, you learn information usually about the individual and their family but with a funeral notice, it is more of an announcement and invitation to attend the funeral.  In this announcement, we see that the invitation to the funeral is to the friends of Eugene Ledbetter and his sister Mrs. S. T. Bussey.  

I noticed that the funeral is taking place at the chapel of Harry G. Poole.  I take this information and Google "Harry G. Poole" where I find the Find A Grave memorial for Harry G. Poole. On this memorial, I learn that Mr. Poole was a prominent funeral director back in the day for Atlanta.  I have seen this funeral home before in other death notices and records for my Atlanta family.  

Then from the funeral notice, I see that Rev. W. A. Eisenhart will officiate the funeral.  I have never heard if my 2nd Great Grandmother was a regular churchgoer or not.  I know she had a belief in God based on a letter to the editor that she wrote.  I have even less knowledge of what Uncle Eugene's religious affiliation would have been.  So I searched for Rev. W. A. Eisenhart on Newspapers.com.  I found his name associated with a few different Presbyterian Churches in the Atlanta area.  I narrowed down the search to 1929, the year that Uncle Eugene died.  Doing so associated Rev. Eisenhart with the Covenant Presbyterian Church.  I Google searched the church.  They are located on Peachtree Road and have been a church since 1902.  I don't know if Uncle Eugene was Presbyterian or not but now I know that the Minister that preached his funeral service was.  

I next Googled "Presbyterian Archive Georgia" which led me to Columbia Theological Seminary located in Decatur, Georgia.  I searched their online archives for "Ledbetter" and for "Eisenhart" but came up empty.  

Next, I went to Google Books and searched "Rev. W. A. Eisenhart".  There were no results of note.

I still don't know much about Eugene's life.  As far as we know he never married nor had children.  I will continue to seek more information about Eugene.  


  



No comments:

Post a Comment