Tuesday, February 24, 2015

#8 of 52...David R. Laycock

Today I will be introducing another one of my husband's ancestors.  Today we will take a look at David R. Laycock.  David is my husband's 3rd great grandfather.  He enlisted in the military during the Civil War, however there were two David Laycocks living in Tennessee and keeping their military records separate has been a challenge.  I believe our David served for the Confederacy while the other one served for the Union.  As with any genealogical research, you have to use the records you find and then make educated guesses with the rest.  This is my educated guess.  I'm always open to other options and being shown and proven otherwise.

David Laycock was born about 1826 in Orange County, North Carolina to Timothy Laycock and Polly Warren.  I am unsure of the other children of Timothy and Polly.  There are other children, but I've not made the confirmation as of yet.  When I do, I will update that information here.

It appears that David and his parents and sibling migrated from Orange County, North Carolina to by the time David is 10 years old.  His father, Timothy is found on the Tax List for Jackson, Tennessee in 1836.

David marries Martha (last name unknown) sometime before 1850.  In the 1850 Federal Census for Jackson, Tennessee he is listed with his wife Martha, their son Thomas 1 year old and his father Timothy.  (these are assumptions as we all know that the relationship is not stated in the 1850 census.

David and Martha have following known children:

1). Thomas M. Laycock (abt 1849-abt 1896) **this is my husband's 2nd great grandfather
2). Elizabeth L. Laycock
3). Sarah E. Laycock

In 1860 David and his wife Martha along with the three children were living in Putnam County, Tennessee.

In 1861 it appears that David R. Laycock enlisted as a Private, Company B, 28th Reg't Tennessee Infantry. His enlistment date was 7 Sept 1861 at Camp Zollicoffer, TN by J. W. McHenry for a period of 12 months. David was 38 years of age.

I checked further on fold3.com for David's service records.  On 3 Oct 1861, David is listed as present for duty.  The next muster roll dated 31 Oct 1861 he is listed as absent.  Under remarks it reads: "Left-without leave. I am told has run away."  Uh oh!

The next muster roll is dated 28 Apr 1862 remarks: "Deserted Oct 1861"

The next muster roll is dated 28 Feb-31 Aug 1862.  Absent. Remarks: "Absent without leave".

So it would seem that our David R. Laycock was not cut out to be a soldier.

There is another David R. Laycock that joined the Union army in 1864; but I think I have tracked him back to Kentucky with a different wife and children and he appears to be a different age.  At first I thought that he was in the Confederate army, deserted and the later joined the Union.  I don't believe that to be the case now; however it is odd that they think that this second David R. Laycock went to Putnam County before he was mustered out.  It's likely that these two David's are related as both were born in Orange County, North Carolina.  I'm of course not certain that there isn't a different story to this information.  I'll have to dig deeper into David R. Laycock's history to see what I can find out.





.  

No comments:

Post a Comment