Tuesday, February 3, 2015

#5 of 52...John Wesley Welch

Let me introduce you to another Civil War Veteran from my family tree.  It seems that many of my ancestors were discharged due to medical issues and my 3rd Great Grandfather John W. Welch is no exception.  John Wesley Welch is my ancestor through my maternal grandfather's maternal line. That would be Jack Thomason's mother Emma Lois Allen's line.  

John Wesley Welch was born 26 July 1838 in Henry County, Georgia and died 25 Jan 1884 in Henry County, Georgia.

John is the son of Wesley Cook Welch and his first wife Lydia Welch (I think).  Mr. Wesley Cook Welch was apparently married four times and had children with three of the four wives.  I've not quite got them all untangled.  I'll get them sorted out eventually.  For now it is believed that John Wesley's mother was Lydia. Due to the number of marriages and the fact that my 4th Great Grandfather had around 11 children and I'm not sure who each one's mother is I will not list John's siblings.  

From his Disability Discharge Paper, "Private John W. Welch, of Captain W.W. Delamar Company 22 of the Twenty Seventh Regiment of Confederate States was enlisted by Major Calhoon of the 27th Regiment of Geo. Vol, at Camp Stephens on the ninth day of September 1861 to serve during the war; he was born in Henry county in the State of Georgia, is twenty three years of age, five feet, nine 1/2 inches high, dark complexion, blue eyes, dark hair and by occupation when enlisted a farmer.  During the last two months said soldier has been unfit for duty sixty days.  The disability was caused by cold sitting in his head which has lasted during the last three years he said.  J.W. Welch has been under medical treatment the most of that time.  The medicine has proved ineffective.

Station: Manassas (can't read the second part)
Date: December ninth 1861.

Signed W.W.Delamar"

The surgeon wrote the following "general disability caused by long continual disease of the frontal and maxillary sinuses.  I further declare my belief that he will never be able to discharge the duties of a soldier.

Signed  Tho M Duvall Surgeon."

Discharged 11th day of December, 1861 at Camp Pickens.

So there you have it.  He had serious sinus infections and they discharged him.  I wonder what kind of medicine would he be given for sinus infection in 1861?  They didn't have antibiotics.

John Wesley Welch went on to marry Emily Catherine Allen 5 Jan 1866 in Spalding County, Georgia.
Emily Catherine was born 15 Sep 1839 and died 5 Aug 1931.  She is from yet another Allen line in my family.  I have not yet traced her family back to see if they intersect with any of the other Allen lines.

John W. Welch and Emily C. Allen had the following known children:

1). Walter Welch (1866-1892)
2). Claudia Vandora Welch (1869-1971) **my 2nd great grandmother
3). Ressie F. Welch (1872-1939)
4). Sallie Dovie Welch (1878-1929)
5). John Wesley Welch JR (1882-1942)

John Wesley Welch SR passed away 25 Jan 1884.







No comments:

Post a Comment