Friday, October 3, 2014

Trying to maintain a focus for genealogical research.

I'm not very good at keeping focus for my genealogical research.  I start out with a half-baked plan and end up never following through.  For example I started out trying to log and research the military members of my varying branch.  I was planning on meticulous going back on each branch and note which wars they may have been in and to see if they served.  It lasted for about two generations then I got distracted by something else.  I ping-pong back and forth between branches and ancestors just willy-nilly.  I have got to get this under control.

I've decided to attempt again to focus in on one single area or branch for research.  The problem for me is that all of these ancestors live in my head along with all of the probable ways to research them.  I'll start down one road and locate a record or story and then suddenly think, "I wonder if that would work for such and such" on the complete other side of the tree.  So I skip on over and see if that will work and then I think of another ancestor that it might work for and hop on over to that one.  What I should do is make a note of it and save it in a research plan and continue with the one I started with in the first place.

I don't know if I'll be successful in focusing on one line at a time, but I'm going to give it a try.

How do you focus your research?

No comments:

Post a Comment